Monday, July 28, 2008

Thing # 12 Creating Community Through Commenting

I never expected this one to be frustrating, but I am perplexed. I received the message that I should not stick with my natural inclination of lurking. I should clearly explain my situation from the "newbie" point of view, and this would be helpful to all. I'm not sure I'm convinced, but I really have no choice. I felt so guilty that I had not responded to the first people that were kind enough to read and comment to some of my posts with a thank you of some variety that I immediately tried to figure out how to correct the error of my earlier ways. Here's what I did: I went back to the first comment I received (a compliment on my avatar! who'da thunk? and kind words of encouragement as I began this process--- it was a fantastic first comment and I was shocked by the whole experience) So I thought if I clicked on their comment to me I could comment to them, but it turns out that I'm not thanking them, I'm just writing to MYSELF! I tried clicking on the profile, but it doesn't seem to connect me to them. For them to get my thank you, they have to come view their comment to me again? That can't be right. And why do I have to sign in with a user name and password just to leave a comment? It's annoying, since it's all in Blogger. I have now also left comments for 5 others from the uhcl group of players. But if anyone can tell me how to solve my quandary I would be delighted! (Asking for help was another way to get comments!)
Agrab.

3 comments:

DAL said...

Rock on, Alice! You are doing great. I have some of the same questions/concerns/don't get it moments of puzzlement that you have, and am getting excited that maybe the pieces will start fitting together. You are on the right track.

Mrs. Moore said...

I too have been frustrated with trying to leave comments. It took me a while to figure out that you have to be logged in. As a matter of fact, I just figured it out a few minutes ago. Also, if you have to be logged in, why do you also have to type in those letters? Hang in there.

VWB said...

the letters are part of spam security set up by blogger! keeps machines from adding spam to your blog!