Saturday, August 2, 2008

# 17 Rollyo

Rollyo was olly-okay for me. I didn't think the explanation on Thing # 17 or even their own Rollyo site provided adequate illumination. Bruce from Spring Branch's video was what finally got me to understand the point at all. Rollyo seems nearly identical to TrackStar, or making your own WebQuest. The bottom line with these tools is they take a ton of time. It is always better to try to find someone else's creation than to reinvent the wheel. Even finding an existing product will need refining for your needs to make it appropriate for your students. I wanted to find something about oceans in case we study about Galveston, and bumped into Leo DeCaprio's environmental stuff. That was interesting. But I was also turned off by some of the completely off-color results that turned up among my keyword ocean results. I carefully backed away from some of the searchrolls and hoped that my computer would not be victimized by some of the noted tags that had NOTHING to do with oceans. That made me realize that if no tags were showing the whole search might be a trap to avoid. This tool seems a little too public for my taste. TrackStar tracks and WebQuests have been created by other educators, not just the random public. If you want to go to the trouble of creating your own from scratch it doesn't matter which format you use; you will still be spending a long time previewing the content and making sure everything is current and working properly for this school year. Agrab.

1 comment:

lm said...

Alice,
I'd like to talk with you about Rollyo. How did you come up with so many sites? I just chose a few which limited the amount of choices quite a bit; but more than enough to use. I can see why you wouldn't want to use this on your age of students. I agree about webquests.
Thanks for your blog!
Linda